Sunday, August 5, 2012

The day dreaming priest


The day dreaming priest
  



Long time ago there lived a priest who was
extremely lazy and poor at the same time. He
did not want to do any hard work but used to
dream of being rich one day.


He got his food
by begging for alms. One morning he got a pot
of milk as part of the alms. He was extremely
delighted and went home with the pot of milk.
He boiled the milk, drank some of it and put
the remaining milk in a pot.


He added slight
curds in the pot for converting the milk to
curd. He then lay down to sleep.


Soon he started imagining about the pot of

curd while he lay asleep. He dreamt that if he
could become rich somehow all his miseries
would be gone. His thoughts turned to the pot
of milk he had set to form curd.


He dreamt on;
"By morning the pot of milk would set, it
would be converted to curd. I would churn the
curd and make butter from it. I would heat the
butter and make ghee out of it.


I will then go
to that market and sell that ghee, and make
some money. With that money i will buy a hen.
The hen will lay may eggs which will hatch
and there will be many chicken.


These chicken
will in turn lay hundreds of eggs and I will
soon have a poultry farm of my own." He kept
on imagining.


"I will sell all the hens of my poultry and buy
some cows, and open a milk dairy. All the
town people will buy milk from me. I will be
very rich and soon I shall buy jewels.


The king
will buy all the jewels from me. I will be so
rich that I will be able to marry an
exceptionally beautiful girl from a rich family.
Soon I will have a handsome son.

If he does
any mischief I will be very angry and to teach
him a lesson, I will hit him with a big
stick."

During this dream, he involuntarily
picked up the stick next to his bed and thinking
that he was beating his son, raised the stick
and hit the pot. The pot of milk broke and he
awoke from his day dream.


Story moral: There is no substitute for hard

work. Dreams cannot be fulfilled without hard
work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment